• Coming November, Worldwide Rookie Conductors’ Attention in Korea
• Recruiting Participants for the KSO International Conducting Competition until 17th of July
• 50 Million KRW and Opportunity to Conduct for Various Stages will be Given to the First Prize Winner
As holding the first KSO International Conducting Competition in the whole area of the Seoul Arts Center from the 10th to 14th of November, the Korean Symphony Orchestra (CEO Park Sun Hee) is recruiting participants.
Coming November, the attention of new coming conductors from all over the world is focused on Korea.
The KSO International Conducting Competition which will be held for the first time this year, is seeking for the sustainability of classic music by cultivating and fostering talented young conductors from all over the world.
From 2018, KSO has been cultivating the future of Korean music by steadily fostering conductors for the next generation within the country such as Cha Woong (36), Kim Yu-won (32) and Park Seung-you (34) through the “Next Stage”. As an expansion of which, being held every three years, the KSO International Conducting Competition is willing to enhance the status of Korean classic music as a foundation of the wave of Korean art.
Despite nationality, candidates from age 23 to 34 may apply. As 80 million won is to be awarded to the winners in total, 50 million won and the opportunity to conduct for various stages will be given to the first prize winner.
As for the jury of the first KSO International Conducting Competition, starting from Chung Chi-yong who is a professor at the Korea National University of Arts as the head jury, also Christian Ehwald, a professor at the Hanns Eisler School of Music; David Kim, concertmaster of the Philadelphia Orchestra; Florian Riem, secretary general of the World Federation of International Music Competitions; Sigmund Thorp, a conductor and professor of the Norway Conservatory and more has been appointed.
Park Sun Hee, the CEO of the Korean Symphony Orchestra said, “Recently at international competitions, while good news about Korean young musicians occur in succession, holding an international conducting competition in Korea is very meaningful in many ways.” and “I hope many people are interested in this competition which will be a chance for Korea to upgrade the status as a cultural powerhouse as well as a huge motivation for young conductors.
Please contact www.ksocompetition.or.kr or call 02-523-4673 for inquiries about participation and registration.
• 1st KRW 50,000,000, Opportunities to conduct at leading national and international concert halls including Seoul Arts Center
• 2nd KWR 20,000,000
• 3th KWR 10,000,000
• Chi-Yong Chung (Republic of Korea), Chairman
• Christian Ehwald (Germany)
• David Kim (The USA)
• Florian Riem (Germany)
• Sigmund Thorp (Norway)
SCHEDULE & VENUE
• Application Due Date: 17th (Sat.) July 2021 at 24:00 (KST)
• First Round: 10th (Wed.) November 2021 Orchestra studio, N Studio
• Second Round: 12th (Fri.) November 2021 Concert Hall, Seoul Arts Center
• Final & Awards Ceremony: 14th (Sun.) November 2021 Concert Hall, Seoul Arts Center